Conscious breathing can transform your life.
Because breathing is necessary for human life, regardless of whether or not you’re conscious of it, you will breathe… no matter what… as long as you are alive. Thank goodness! So most of us don’t pay attention to our breath. We just live our day to day life and let the breathing happen on its own.
However, if you want to reduce your stress or be more present becoming aware of your breath throughout your day will help you:
- Experience the present moment.
- Let go of tension.
- Breathe deeper and fuller.
Practice Conscious Breathing Now! Take a moment right now to notice your breath just to see what it’s like. There’s a couple of different ways to do this.
- One way is to notice your breath as it comes in and out of your body at the tip of your nose.
- A second way is to notice the movement of your torso as you breathe.
- A third way is to place one hand on your chest and one on your belly – this helps a lot of people be able to sense the movement of their torso as they breathe.
If you’re new to this practice, it could either feel really good and relaxing… or awkward and uncomfortable… or you might be wondering if you’re doing it right. Let me reassure you that if you’re doing anything, you’re doing it “right.” The only way to mess it up is to not do anything at all.
If you’d like more support with this… in Meditation Bootcamp, we do a lot of conscious breathing!
So to take on a regular conscious breathing practice –
- Notice your breathe…
- Bring your awareness to the tip of your nose as you inhale and exhale…
- Notice the movement of your torso as you breath…
And see what happens.
Throughout your day bring your awareness back to your breath.
Post “breathe” signs as reminders at your desk, on your refrigerator, on your bathroom mirror, and anywhere else you might see one.
Every time you see one of your reminders…
Notice your breathe. Experience the air coming in and out of your nose. Notice the movement of your torso as you breath. And see what happens.